Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today is the Day! 269 days left...

I'm not quite sure why today is the day.  Is it because it's 4/20, which is the international day to smoke weed and get high?  Perhaps.  Maybe I'm just high.  Except I don't smoke weed.  Maybe it's a runner's high?  Except I don't run...yet! 

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.  I've made the commitment to run in the Baton Rouge 1/2 Marathon on January 15, 2012.  Which basically means I've made a commitment to get healthy.  I currently weigh 269 pounds (with my clothes and shoes on...heavy shoes...and a sweater) and there are 269 days until the marathon.  Coincidence?  I think not. 

I've never been very open about my struggles with my weight.  It's not easy to talk about, but for some reason much easier to write about.  Food...correction...unhealthy food has been my vice since I was a child.  I've participated in every fad diet.  I've been to every kind of doctor.  I've even had weight loss surgery.  And it is at this very moment that I finally feel ready.  Deciding to run in this marathon is more than just a goal.  It is a decision to make a lifestyle change.

I figured I should go ahead and blog about my experiences over the next several months for two reasons...the first is because it holds me accountable.  I need accountability.  And the second is because its therapeutic.  I hope to provide some fodder along the way...God knows I will need to laugh my way through this (plus, laughing burns calories...I'll take whatever I can get).  I'm not necessarily looking to inspire anyone, which may sound selfish.  I'm just looking to get inspired.  I'm not looking back, y'all.  Tit for tat.  Fit not fat!

15 comments:

  1. GO EMMA! I'll be your personal cheerleader! Lets do a 5K together in the fall, find one in Atlanta and I'll be there babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Emily! Proud of you and will support you in whatever way you need! Praying for you and your journey...wherever it may lead you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting journey you are about to embark upon. Wishing you much luck! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Lady, I am definitely inspired! You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud that you've decided to do this!! And blogging seems a great way to stay accountable, as you mentioned. Can't wait to keep reading about your adventures. I love you, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock Emma! Your blog is awesome- you have such a way with words! I will be here to encourage you along the way! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you, Em. I love the goal, love the motivation, love the blog... I love, love, love it all and will be here to support you 100% every step of the way. I know you're not looking to inspire anyone, but you already have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you and love this!! I know you are gonna do great! Steph said she would be your cheerleader, but I think you'll have a whole cheerleading squad rooting for you along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your a beautiful girl Emily and you crack me up! This should be a fun blog to keep up with. Good luck! I participated in a blog for Jillian Michaels 30day Shred. It was incredible and after 30 days I was hooked on fitness. You will be too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me tear up a little…and then laugh at your humor….and then smile. I'm so proud of you and inspired by your courage. Best wishes on this incredible journey. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rock, Sister! "You can do all things through Him who strengthens you..." So excited to watch your journey unfold...and even more excited to cross the finish line with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you're not looking to inspire anyone, but you've already inspired me! My running shoes are on! Well, they're more like walking shoes right now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog already! It's difficult to put yourself out there and blog about your life. I'm so glad you are sharing it with everyone. Good luck. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily ~ this is very admirable, I look forward to cheering you on! It looks like you already have wonderful support ~ Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go get 'em!!! James and I would love to be there to cheer you at the finish line!!! I'll be following the blog too. Best of luck...I know you will kick heiney!!!

    ReplyDelete